The Summer of Love

No, it was not a repeat of the 1967 gathering in San Francisco but rather an apt description of what I experienced this past summer. Yes, I fell in love. I fell in love with Buenos Aires, Argentina. I fell in love with a culture that elevates a mere cup of coffee to an experience of communion with friends and loved ones. It's not coffee, it's cafe au lait. I fell in love what must be the national pastry -- the medialuna. Then spread a layer of dulce de leche, and honestly, people, it's a taste of heaven.

So what has this got to do with diversity? Well, it doesn't take long to discover how cosmopolitan the city and the people are due to the history of immigration and acculturation in Argentina. And of course there's always the difficult reality of colonization of one nation over another, and the impact on the indigenous population.

In the midst of the complexity of such realities, I discovered how much I loved how they created a culture that brought these elements together and brought them under a common language,  nationality, and the wonderful daily habit of having cafe au lait and medialunas.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Institutional Racism and Higher Education

Split and Stereotyping

Lost & Found