All the Ways to Think about Sandy

I definitely experienced what I call the "Yin-Yang" of Sandy. That is I was both underwhelmed and overwhelmed at the same time. Holding in tension two apparent opposites. It's rather Dominican (like in Catholic) when I think about it.

Well, back to being underwhelmed...no flooding, plenty of electricity, no trees crashing on my car or in my home and ate apple pie, cider donuts and Cheez-its for two days straight with offices closed for the duration. Frankly I was expecting so much more (as in worse, awful, horrible) then nada.

Then as I obsessively read postings on Twitter and Facebook and saw photos of devastation on news websites, I realized that this is simply not about me, my discomfort or lack thereof. It was recognizing the whole of humanity being battered in places like NYC, the Jersey Shore and as close as South County in RI in seacoast towns like Narragansett and renowned Newport with its mansions and Cliff Walk.

Overwhelmed...and grateful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Institutional Racism and Higher Education

Split and Stereotyping

Lost & Found