How to Say You're Sorry

Earlier this week it came to my attention that I used a slur against Canadians, which I will not repeat here. Since then I have removed it from my previous blog posting. Even though I googled the term to learn the meaning, I didn't take the time needed to get a fuller understanding of the word. Instead I simply read that it was a slang term and was used by a hockey team in Vancouver, Canada.

If I had explored further I would have learned that it was a derogatory term especially for those of Canadian descent in the United States. It's also a term that is debated on the extent of its offensiveness. Yet like the "N" word, far be it that me as a non-Canadian should use it. What matters most (to me at least) that the word does indeed offend plenty of people and that's enough of a reason to apologize, ask forgiveness and learn from my faux-pas.

I posted on the SMA Facebook page "a key to cultural competence is a willingness to learn and admit mistakes. As such, I sincerely apologize for using a slur against Canadians in my most recent blog. I had no idea and glad that it was brought to my attention." It's not about political correctedness but rather an opportunity to be genuinely compassionate and concerned about others and recognizing that words do indeed matter. Most of all it's a good reminder that though my intent was to not offend, the impact was negative, hurtful and being offensive.


How to say you're sorry? Just say it simply and openly without excuse.
I'm sorry.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Institutional Racism and Higher Education

Split and Stereotyping

Lost & Found