I Really Don't Like It

As I've written in the past, I'm part of the Friarside Book Club at PC. This means I get to read three or four books and discuss them with a wonderful group of colleagues from all across campus. What's cool about book clubs is that I often find myself reading books that I would never choose to read on my own. It expands my horizons in good and meaningful ways.

So what happens when I find myself really, really (and I mean really) not liking a book to the measure that I stop reading it after a couple of chapters? Well I initially felt guilty that I seemed unwilling (or rather unable?) to push through this book. What was worse is that the topic was about the Holocaust, which is of course important to know and understand. Honestly it was about the Holocaust and I couldn't get through it! But it wasn't the topic. It really wasn't. It was the writing. Oh, the writing...!

I even thought of skipping out on the book club meeting because I felt so badly that I didn't come close to finishing the book. Then I discovered that the majority of the group didn't like it at all and, yes, it was due to the writing and also the author's approach. And yet...there were a couple of us in our group who really appreciated and enjoyed it. In the midst of my consternation, I found myself listening and considering other perspectives of the book.

So I may still not like the book but I can be respectful and open enough to those who do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Institutional Racism and Higher Education

Split and Stereotyping

Lost & Found