But Is It Art?

A couple of weeks ago I went to NYC for a weekend of fun and frolic in the "Big Apple." The last time I visited I didn't make my way to MOMA, the Museum of Modern Art. This go-around it was my highest priority to get there.

As I entered into the foyer, I saw a woman in a glass box. Yes, a real woman as still as death completely enclosed in glass much like one would imagine for Sleeping Beauty. In this case there was no way of opening the box as far as I could tell. Just looking at her made me feel claustrophobic and made me wonder, "Why?"

And maybe that's the point of art such as this. It's really a big question mark that causes me to re-consider my assumptions about, well, just everything.

For years I wasn't a fan of modern or contemporary art. All I can think was, "What's the point?" But over time I discovered that sometimes it's trying to answer the question or maybe it IS the question.
Anyway, I love it because in so many ways it makes me uncomfortable and prompts me to consider different perspectives.

P.S. By the way I discovered it was Tilda Swinton, a renown actor, who was most recently in "Moonrise Kingdom."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Institutional Racism and Higher Education

Split and Stereotyping

Lost & Found