Give Thanks with a Grateful Heart, Give Thanks to the Holy One...

So...how was your Thanksgiving? Mine was pretty awesome and I don't use that word lightly. In fact I try to avoid it as much as possible as it's over-used and let's be honest, how can everything be awesome?

And yet...Thanksgiving was, well, AWESOME! Let me recount some of the reasons why:
My brother hosted which meant no cooking and cleaning for me but then again no leftovers. Glad then sad.

My brother hosted and he cooked like a mad man - homemade rolls, sweet potato casserole with a touch of cayenne pepper (people, it works), turkey flavored with Asian spices and soy sauce, stuffing with polenta and bacon and so much more. It truly was a feast for the eyes and the stomach!

It was a change of scenery from the suburbs to urban Boston which is where my brother lives. Driving through his neighborhood I saw a mosaic of people and shops that makes up the beauty of his neighborhood.

It was a sunny day with blue skies with a tinge of that autumn air that you know will turn to winter chill. It was a great day to be indoors but also to take a walk after dinner to a local park that had murals depicting the diversity of the community as well as honoring those who have died over the years.

Last of all, it was a great day to count my blessings - family, food, fellowship and most of all my faith in a God who deeply cares for me, for you and for our world. I know it's hard to believe considering all the world has and continues to go through so maybe I'm simply grateful that I can still be hopeful in the midst of so much tragedy.

And maybe it takes a day like Thanksgiving to pause, to think and to give thanks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Institutional Racism and Higher Education

Split and Stereotyping

Lost & Found