Faces of America

On most mornings I try to take a short walk around my neighborhood for  a bit of cardio and to clear my mind. I also like to observe what and who is around me. Soon enough I saw high school students either walking solo or with peers to their first morning class. Nearly all the faces were those who would probably self identify as a student of color - Black, Asian, Hispanic, etc.

It was clear to me that they are the faces of America (or rather the United States) that will soon enter if not already entering our institutions of higher learning. These are our future leaders in government, education, business and places of worship. All of them only 15 minutes away from Providence College and I wonder how are we preparing ourselves and our current students for this future that is in so many ways is already here. And I include ALL students when it comes to being well-prepared for our diverse society. In fact the corporate world is demanding global leaders and that crosses all racial and ethnic differences.

Even so, on campuses in the US there is a drive to send students overseas for study abroad programs with the presumption that the experience will increase their cultural competence. In some ways yes and other ways absolutely not. Although I am a huge fan and advocate for international study and travel and having done so in China, Vietnam, Thailand, Europe , Mexico and Canada,  I discovered that study or service abroad doesn't guarantee increased understanding about privilege, power, oppression, marginalization or of the many -isms that exist around us and in our communities.

According to an article in the Harvard Business Review, 90% of the world's people do not leave the country where they were born. If that is indeed true then most students in the US even those who study abroad will return to the US to live and work. As one colleague once told me, "Just because students are crossing the world to make friends with people different from themselves doesn't mean that they are crossing the hallway in their dorms to do the same."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Institutional Racism and Higher Education

Split and Stereotyping

Lost & Found