Ancient Chinese Secret

A few weeks ago I was having tea with someone and as usual when I mentioned my age I knew what was next. "I don't want to sound stereotypical but you look so much younger. Asians always look so young...."

People, when you have to start your comment with "I don't want to sound..." you should probably stop talking and withhold your statement because you already know it's going to offend or at the least be annoying or for me, I just sigh.

So I proceeded to counter his statement with "Well, I have oilier skin so it's like a natural moisturizer and keeps my skin more young" or "That's not really true as I know plenty of Asians when they reach 8o they look like they're 100." And on and on. Yet he continued to maintain that there was some genetic code, i.e. an "ancient Chinese secret" that must be keeping me wrinkle-free at the age of fifty.

In truth what was he really saying? What are any of us really saying when we say, "All....are...." It doesn't allow us to be individuals and it doesn't allow me to be an adult. Being younger typically means less power so when as an Asian I'm relegated to always being "so young looking," I wonder if it explains some of the reasons why Asians aren't in positions of power and influence.

No secret really. Just sunblock.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Institutional Racism and Higher Education

Split and Stereotyping

Lost & Found