Hate It. Love It.

Last week the Friarside Readers came together to discuss The Shoemaker's Wife and found that the majority of the group didn't like the book all that much. What made me laugh is how expressive and descriptive some of the members were about how much they, yes, hated the book. As for me, I actually liked it very much as I was intrigued with the story of Italians immigrating to NYC.

The book club reminded me that though we may seemingly be having the same experience, it's so very different for each person. And it's a reminder that in the midst of the majority there are different perspectives and feelings.

I also can't help but think of how often we say so assuredly that Providence College is a place where community exists and thrives and that it's a place of home for all our students. The truth is that some feel like guests in a person's lovely home. Indeed they may use the guest towels, are taken care of and given tips on where to visit but in the end they're still guests and not members of the family.

Being in a family and at home means, at least for me, being able to put my feet on the coffee table, open the fridge and grab what I want and using the every day towels. It also means letting our guard down, trusting others and working through conflict. But sometimes and maybe too often home is not all that comfortable or safe. And sometimes it may mean just needing to have space because some family members are kind of crazy. You know what I'm talking about!

Even in the midst of the messiness of family, I hope that students who are in the numerical minority will find themselves truly at home at PC.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Institutional Racism and Higher Education

Split and Stereotyping

Lost & Found