RI vs. MA

Red Sox. Yankees. The Green Monster. The Stadium. One hour to Boston. Three hours to NYC. I can't imagine two groups more different. Then how is it that two rivalries can co-exist somewhat peaceably in Rhode Island? Yes, I'm baffled too. Yet somehow it works in the Ocean State.

Then again I see the glaring differences by just driving over the border from Pawtucket to Attleboro. In the Ocean state, drivers are polite. No, that isn't a typo. They actually let other cars in and out of traffic. And this goes for people crossing the street. In fact I even had one driver be upset with me for not taking advantage of him waving me across.

If I tried this in the Bay state, my car would be back-ended for wanting to allow another car into traffic or would be crashed into if I tried to go into the traffic and presuming the on-going car would let me in. Being a resident in RI but with family in MA makes it an interesting process of going back and forth with the recognition that there really are two different cultures even in merry New England.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Institutional Racism and Higher Education

Split and Stereotyping

Lost & Found