The Whiteness of Theatre

Although I've written about this before I had to comment again about my observation of how very White (and elderly) is the audience for theatre or at least theatre in Rhode Island. The other day I went to see a play at the Gamm theatre and I was able to count on one hand the number of people of color in the audience.  Of course we know that race is a complex concept and reality so one can't necessarily see color based on the categories created in the US through law and imagination. Then add to it that Hispanic is not considered a race category but ethnicity per the US government or the fact that last names can belie a person's background as well as those who are multiracial and defy categorization altogether.

Barring all this, one can't deny how very White it is in the audiences of theatre as well as on stage among the actors. I'm beginning to think I need to attend productions that support more diversity as much as I love the Gamm and other theatres in the area.  I know that my presence as one theatre goer may not make much of a difference in the grand scheme of things.  Yet I want to be as true as I'm able to my ideals and values when it comes to diversity, and spending my dollars in the places that matter to me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Institutional Racism and Higher Education

Split and Stereotyping

Lost & Found