Ms. Yee Goes to Washington

Last weekend I visited friends in Washington DC, which, by the way, has become one of my favorite cities.  One of my goals was to see the MLK Memorial along the tidal basin across from the Jefferson Memorial.  So, on a warm and even humid Sunday morning I made my way to the memorial. While walking along the path, I heard different languages and saw individuals, couples and families of all backgrounds.  It doesn't surprise me considering how DC is the seat of power in the United States as well as all the remarkable monuments and museums that were free to attend.

What was and is always interesting to me that people take it for granted in a good way that this is how it is, i.e. to be surrounded by diverse people and that there is no threat or fear because someone is different.  This is particularly important considering all that has happened in Paris in the last 48 hours with the terrorist attacks in the city.  Too often we are quick to blame an entire people for the violent acts of the few.  I also have to admit that I was curious about what people thought about the lone young woman who is at large and defies the stereotypical image of a terrorist, Muslim or otherwise.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Institutional Racism and Higher Education

Split and Stereotyping

Lost & Found