Not Again

Last night I went to get my monthly massage, which was especially soothing after shoveling snow for nearly two hours earlier in the day.  As you can imagine, I was so looking forward to being in a quiet space and allow a skilled masseuse to knead away the knots in my shoulders, back and neck.

Imagine my consternation when the massage therapist upon hearing my last name began to speak an Asian foreign language to me. "OMG, really?" I thought and "Not again. Damn!"  Even if he spoke my family language which is Cantonese Chinese, I still wouldn't understood a word he said. I actually had to ask him what he was saying to me and he proceeded to say he was speaking Korean as he presumed my last name was Korean.

Okay, so I get that person may presume some things based on a last name but let's be honest. Would he begin speaking Italian to a client whose name was Bellini or Gaelic to someone who was O'Hara? I will bet all the money in the world that he would not have done that.

Anyway I made it clear that I didn't speak a word of Korean or Chinese and that I grew up in a Jewish White neighborhood. I did what I could to shut the conversation down but he seemed insistent to continue talking culture and so on.  Honestly all I wanted was a massage...in silence.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Institutional Racism and Higher Education

Split and Stereotyping

Lost & Found