They're Here

For my graduate class I'm doing a practicum in the local area.  Due to all the snow I've only gone in twice but so far it has been a good experience.  Much of it is because majority of the staff are people of color.  In my entire life this is the first time I've ever entered into a workplace and most of the people are those of color.  In this case they're also mostly women.  Also most if not all were either pursuing their Master's degree or already had one.  Having lunch with them and listening to their stories encouraged my heart and sustained me for the rest of the day. That's what happens when you're among those who are like-minded yet are different in so many ways. The expression "Unity in Diversity" really can be true.

Yet the truth is that I know that when these women are out and about, they are probably presumed to be drop-outs, illegal or poor simply based on what they look and sound like.  I also know that I don't get any of that because of the model minority myth.  

At the same time those at the highest levels of leadership at the agency are White, male and middle to upper class.  It's nothing new but still telling.  What's helpful is that at least one of the leaders knows that this is problematic.  My hope is that the problem will lead to systemic change that bring diversity in perspective, experience and background. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Institutional Racism and Higher Education

Split and Stereotyping

Lost & Found