It's Really True

It's really true that I find myself being the only one in most contexts in Rhode Island.  In some ways that makes perfect sense since the state is nearly 87% White but I can't help still being surprised when I experience this alone-ness time and again.

Today I attended a workshop about trauma, which was helpful since I'm going to be working with clients who have experienced alot of trauma in their lives.  As I looked around the room, there was one other visibly person of color in attendance.  Again, no surprise but always disconcerting to say the least.

This experience outside of what I used to do in higher education reminds me that diversity is just hard in the many places I find myself in.  Yet, if not me or you or someone else then change won't ever happen.  The question that haunts me though is how do those who are always breaking ground able to be resilient and have fortitude in the face of oppression and resistance.  I'm still wondering about it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Institutional Racism and Higher Education

Split and Stereotyping

Lost & Found