#MyMiddletown

Last week I scored a free ticket to see "Middletown" at the Trinity Repertory Company in Providence, RI. I was looking forward to seeing this play as it seemed that they would have a touch more racial diversity in their casting.  Also the story line seemed thought-provoking in that it was considered to be a contemporary "Our Town" set in a small town and addressing as written on their web page, "universal themes of love, birth, death, loneliness, elation, forgiveness, disappointment and redemption."

Again, I found myself being one of a handful of people of color in the audience and certainly one of the younger audience goers.  This definitely is a reality for so many theatres when it comes to the lack of diversity in age and race among audiences.  The only time that I was in the racial majority was when I went to see "Raisin in the Sun" with Denzel Washington, which was refreshing to experience. Then again, is anyone surprised by that?

As I watched "Middletown," I thought about where I grew up, which was suburban rather than small town, and about the diversity that existed there, which back in the 70s wasn't much.  My family were the only Asian Americans in the neighborhood apart from a bi-racial family in the street (a true anomaly) and an Irish Catholic family from Ireland (even more of an anomaly considered it was majority Jewish). 

So, then, did "Middletown" pertain to me in my present life? In some ways, yes. Yes, because the themes were truly universal as I dealt with the deaths of my parents within the past four years, changes in vocation in the past two years and the reality of hurdling towards my retirement years.  And, no. No, because the actors were majority White and my friends and neighbors are more racially diverse.

After the play, I was the lone person who stayed after for the "Talk-Back" with the actors and staff, and I'm so glad I did. I shared with them my thoughts and concerns about the lack of diversity in theatre and guess what? They agreed and were fully cognizant of the challenges and issues that in so many ways threaten the future of theatre in the United States.

Hopefully next month I'll see "The Glass Menagerie" with Laura being wholly different than you can imagine.

I. Can't. Wait.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Institutional Racism and Higher Education

Split and Stereotyping

Lost & Found