The First One

So, here I am having had taken six classes for my counseling graduate program and have yet to have one faculty of color or adjunct faculty member as an instructor. Then it finally happened..the instructor for my Human Development Across Cultures class is a woman of color. I confess that it felt odd and wonderful to have someone who was not White teaching a class. In fact I was almost gleeful. It's hard to explain how much it matters for me to have people, particularly those in authority and influence, around me who reflect my identity and/or experience. In fact, research tells us time and again that this kind of representation and connection increases students' interest, self-efficacy and ultimate success.

Based on the fact that she was teaching the class I made the presumption that she will address  diversity in all its form as well as the realities of power, position and privilege. I was not disappointed as she started with the TED talk about the "danger of a single story." It's described as follows:

"Our lives, our cultures, are composed of many overlapping stories. Novelist Chimamanda Adichie tells the story of how she found her authentic cultural voice — and warns that if we hear only a single story about another person or country, we risk a critical misunderstanding."


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Institutional Racism and Higher Education

Split and Stereotyping

Lost & Found