Republicans = Trump (MAYBE NOT)

Last night in my human development across cultures class, we were asked to do a "multicultural circles identity" activity, which included sharing with one other classmate then with the class as a whole. I've done this myself several times as well as facilitated groups to do this activity. What I like about is that it's always with different groups of people and the ways that I identify myself change depending on where I'm at in that moment. For me, I included "female," "Chinese-American," "Christian/Catholic" and "Auntie."

Although I often talk about my racial identity, this time I talked with my partner about my experience as an Auntie which has become more and more important to me. I told her how surprised I was on how much I cared for and loved these girls who were not my own and not even of our family blood as they're adopted. I'm struck by the reality and possibility of what we as humans can do by accepting those who differ and creating a new community or family.

When it came to talking about an identity that was hard for me, I talked about what it meant to be a lone woman in a male-dominated profession, i.e. engineering. I shared how I couldn't cry in front of others even after I had been verbally abused in front a group of men and had every reason to cry. But, no, I'm not allowed to show any tears because it meant I was weak. Even telling that story evoked feelings that I thought were long gone - feelings of being humiliated and wholly unqualified.

When it came to the group sharing, a classmate surprised me by stating that she was a Republican but she didn't agree with Trump AT ALL. She shared this after several classmates expressed more liberal views. I thought it was great that she could talk about who she was while also dispelling people's notions (including mine!) of who they thought she would be because of her political affiliation.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Institutional Racism and Higher Education

Split and Stereotyping

Lost & Found