Radical Acceptance and Resistance

Well, it has been over a month since the U.S. election and what was impossible became reality. I can't even write the name of the president-elect as I'm still incredulous about the results. However it wasn't unforeseen as I recall a friend of mine from Kenya in his usual prescient way that he thought the Republican nominee may actually win the election. He implored that me (and others like me) as a U.S. American to be the vanguard of the democracy of the nation of my birth.

I voted.

We lost.

It took a couple of weeks for me to get my bearings and to begin to apply the principles of acceptance and mindfulness to my own distress. I also took hold of the concept of Radical Acceptance that comes from Dialectical Behavioral Therapy. It means for me to truly, truly accept the reality of what's happening as awful as it is while also seeking productive change.

For me, that change is resistance.

Resisting the hatred of those who differ. Resisting the diminishing power of the average citizen. Resisting the lowering of standards for our political leaders. Resisting all that is contrary to what I value as a person of faith seeking justice, mercy and love for all peoples.

Radical Acceptance AND Resistance.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Institutional Racism and Higher Education

Split and Stereotyping

Lost & Found