I'm Really the Only One: From Discouragement to Hopefulness

Last night I attended the first class for my internship course. At the start of the class, we all meet as a large group then split into our individual groups with our faculty supervisor. Now, more often than not I don't think too much about being the only person of color in a class (or at least what I'm able to discern) or in a smaller group setting. By now I've gotten used to that experience having grown up in a majority White suburb west of Boston and worked at majority White companies and colleges for the past 30 years.

However...I always find myself taken off guard in settings like last night's large group gathering for which I am truly the Only One among forty students in their last year of graduate studies with all White faculty. I must admit that I felt a sinking feeling in my stomach and had to gather myself to stay focused. It didn't help that some of my classmates described a diversity exercise they experienced as being "racist." I know that exercise well having done it myself and have been a facilitator, and as much as I know that their response is a common one I felt disheartened, quite discouraged and in some ways even felt emotionally vulnerable.

During my morning swim, I processed what I heard and experienced last night and realized the following:
  • It takes time for people to recognize their privilege in all forms whether it's due to race, class, ethnicity, nationality, sexual orientation, etc. etc. 
  • It's hard to realize that all is not right with the world and one's worldview is upended. It wasn't until I was in my mid-30's that I recognized the reality of race and racism.
  • I have taught students in the past who really cared about diversity and racial justice, and they were White and male.
  • There are allies in this work for justice for all.
  • The ACA Code of Ethics, CACREP standards and Licensure requirements expect and in fact demand cultural competence for mental health counselors (at least there are systemic expectations).
  • I'm on the right side of history considering all that's happening in the US and around the world.
  • Increases my empathy for all those who feel they're the only ones whether it's due to identity, life situation or mental health struggles.
So, in the end, I was able to step into a little more hopefulness on this day.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Institutional Racism and Higher Education

Lost & Found

Split and Stereotyping