Haters Are Gonna Hate

It's rather disconcerting to realize that a person, and in this case a classmate, doesn't like me. Or at least that's my perception of a recent email sent by this classmate who that told me to "Stop emailing me" period (although there was a "please'"). I had no idea why the classmate thought it was a personal email as it was a group email to the class that we're taking. Perplexing.

To be honest, it was hard to not take it personally for a moment. I mean, who doesn't like me? Then I had to mentally take a step back, reflect and recognize that ultimately this wasn't about me. I won't go into my theories as to why I think this classmate doesn't like me but in the end it really doesn't matter.

Rather, I'm seeing this an opportunity to practice mindfulness by acknowledging my feelings, taking a deep breath and letting go. I also see it as a metaphor for how I will face clients who won't like me for one reason or another, and that bottom line it truly isn't about me being unlikeable. The truth is that we all have our stuff that arise from our past and our biases, and that they affect how we view others and of ourselves.

So, I suppose it's living out the truth of the almighty Taylor Swift...just Shake it Off, Shake it Off...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Institutional Racism and Higher Education

Split and Stereotyping

Lost & Found