What A Difference

It's hard to believe that I just ended my last day at my graduate assistant job. I also find it hard to believe how different the ending is as compared to what I imagined at the start of the academic year. I thought for sure that I'd be gritting my teeth until the very end but that hasn't been the case. I'm not quite sure at what point things began to change although I can definitely put my finger on when I started seeing a therapist to specifically address workplace difficulties. Once I did, I was gently encouraged or even challenged to reconsider my thoughts, which in turn affected my feelings.

Once I began to release some of the thoughts and feelings I had, my actions and attitudes were less defensive. This doesn't mean the people I was working for were any less mean or hurtful but when I began to recognize that much of what they said to me was not personal, I actually did feel better. At the same time I can't help but be reminded how very subordinate I am in my role and that in the end I had to subsume who I was in order to "get along."

I suppose it's just what marginalized people must do to survive yet in the end how does this serve me (or any of us)? When I feel compelled to be silent and submissive, I begin to carry a knot of frustration and resentment within me. Some would say that I should speak up but the cost is so much greater for someone like myself than for others. As my therapist told me, I need to weigh what is worth fighting for and in the end for this job, it wasn't.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Institutional Racism and Higher Education

Split and Stereotyping

Lost & Found